Chinese inspired recipes are always a great way to eat plenty of crunchy vegetables. And this one is so easy as you will have vegetables, noodles and chicken in one tasty dish. All your attention and devotion while cooking goes out to just one dish.
The ingredient list might seem long but it is all worth it. In under 45 minutes you will have a filling dish on the table that everyone loves with plenty of vitamins!
Chicken chow mein
300gr (4 cups) egg noodles, dried
2 chicken breasts, sliced thin
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced thin
5 white mushrooms, medium size, sliced thin
1 zucchini, sliced thin
1/2 glass hot chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp cornflour
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
50gr (1/3 cup) frozen peas
2 tbsp oil
1. Boil egg noodles accordingly and drain them once they are done
2. In a wok, over high heat, heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry sliced chicken with crushed garlic and chilli flakes; remove from wok once chicken is slightly golden brown
3. In the same wok, over high heat, heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry carrot, bell pepper, mushrooms and zucchini during 5 min, while stirring regularly
4. In a bowl, combine hot chicken stock, cornflour, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce and stir well until homogenous; add sauce to vegetables in wok; cook and stir for another 2 min.
5. Add now sweet soy sauce, sesame oil, frozen peas, cooked noodles and cooked chicken and stir well for another 2 to 3 min. before serving.
Optional garnish (better done beforehand):
6. Beat eggs and cook 3 to 4 thin omelets with this mixture; once cooked roll up the omelet and slice thin
7. Garnish chicken chow mein with a handful of sliced omelets before serving.